Sunday, October 20, 2013

Say Yes!

Jeff Probst use to preach on his talk show to "Say yes." Say yes to opportunities even if you're not so sure about them, or if you don't want to put yourself out there. I've been saying "yes" to invitations and putting myself out there that a few years ago, I probably wouldn't have.
A few months ago, the director of Hope Lodge in Kansas City, MO invited me to the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk kick-off breakfast and then asked me if I would be a team leader. She thought I might be interested. I wasn't so sure about all of that, but in the end I said yes and put I myself out there. Granted, this is my first year doing this and I only have two or three people on my team, but I am so excited about this event. I can't wait to be around other women like me who have gone through what I have gone through! I can't wait to hear their stories and meet new people.
Last week, I had the opportunity to speak to about 50 medical students at KCUMB and share my story with them to maybe help them become better doctors. I met another cancer survivor and the director of the Bloch Foundation in Kansas City, MO. Two really terrific women. I was extremely nervous considering I didn't really have anything prepared, but I was so glad I went. A big shout out to Sara Murphy for suggesting my name and to Lauren Harriet for getting me there!
Wendy Nielson, a fellow blogger had a fantastic idea to reach out to women living with breast cancer and decided to do a series for the month of October entitled, "Writing a New Story." I decided to reach out and answer her questions and the interview went beautifully. You can find me over at Wendy's Blog, http://wendy-nielsen.com/2013/10/18/leslie-jones/.
I guess for me saying yes is my new story. My self-image is changing, my thought process is changing all for the better I might add! So the next time you're asked do something and you're not so sure about it, just breathe and take the risk. You never know what is around the corner!
I'd love to hear from you about your say yes moments!!

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCCY13PL?team_id=1465408&pg=team&fr_id=55853

No comments:

Post a Comment