Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Land of the Living

I finally feel like I'm part of the human race again. For so long my life was engulfed by whether or not my chemotherapy was working, surgeries, recovery, and basically just getting through the day. Then, there is that fear of waiting in between check-ups to make sure there is no sign of recurrence.
Last month, I had my first check-up without having to do scans and even though I still have that fear I am somewhat comforted by knowing my blood markers were normal.
To take the anxiety away, I decided to apply for a job at Kwik Shop. I had been thinking about it for a while, and living on social security is not glamorous by any means. I hated having to tell my kids no to something because I couldn't afford it. I hated the fact I couldn't go to sporting events or do anything extra for that matter.
I was so excited that I got an interview and although what seemed like forever for a background check (three weeks) I was finally cleared for training. I don't view this opportunity as just a job. This is an opportunity for me to grow with the company to my heart's content. Kroger not only puts their customer's first, but they also put their employees first.
I honestly feel as though I have a purpose again. For the longest time, I felt like my only purpose was surviving breast cancer. I was scared that the cancer would be my legacy and that I had nothing to look forward to. Granted, I had my children, but I wanted something just for me. I wanted some kind of identity beyond being a mother and a survivor.
Who knew you could have a good time in training? I came out of training with a whole lot of knowledge and new friendships.Don't ever tell yourself that because you have cancer that you can't do anything else, because your body and spirit can definitely overcome. All you have to do is try and take a chance on yourself and doors will open!



No comments:

Post a Comment