Wednesday, November 28, 2012

decisions

Whenever you have that sinking feeling or self-doubt in your gut, LISTEN TO IT! There were so many times while my supposed "caregiver" was taking care of me that I felt that she was after my children. I even confronted her on it a couple of different times.
A lawyer who makes house calls? Karen came to the house with guardianship papers in hand for me to sign. Even though I had three chemo's behind me, I felt I was able to make a sound decision. The wording in the document said, "temporary." I thought the word "temporary" in the document meant I was signing a "temporary" guardianship. Later I would find out this guardianship was anything but temporary.
"This is just a piece of paper," Becky said.
They invited me into their home and made me feel comfortable with how they were raising their own daughter. They invited me to dinners and always updated me on the children.
"Leslie, I'm doing this for you!" she said. "We just want the best for your children." Words I clearly wanted to hear, because after she said these words I let it go.
Every time I turned around, she would say, "This is just a piece of paper so we can make decisions for them, take them to doctor's appointments etc. One other reason for the guardianship is that I needed medicaid. As it was, I was receiving child support from my ex-husband and I needed to figure out how to get that out of my name. $650 put me way over the limit to qualify for anything, and I didn't have health insurance or any other income. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to be treated for my cancer if I couldn't get the health care I so desperately needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment