Friday, November 30, 2012

When my mother was alive, she was an extremely passive aggressive person. When she wasn't passive aggressive she was yelling and screaming at us. When my sister ignored my request, I just snapped. I couldn't handle her being passive aggressive towards me. I couldn't handle the fact she showed absolutely no empathy toward the fact that I just found I had breast cancer. I couldn't handle the fact she turned my house upside down. Her intentions were good, but I would have appreciated a heads up. I didn't appreciate the fact she erased my younger children's things without asking me first. I didn't appreciate the fact that I needed to in fact rest, and I couldn't.
While I was gone, I had asked my neighbors to check-in on her and the kids. I just wanted to make sure she had everything she needed. My neighbors and I just became friends earlier that summer and I felt comfortable sharing certain things with them. I hadn't counted on my sister telling them things that were private about my life. I hadn't counted on her taking them through my house.
I should have realized something was wrong when I invited her and my neighbor Emily for lunch that day. Beth was acting extremely off. More off than usual. When Beth is hiding something she has that "fake" smile. You know the ones I'm talking about. The kind where it's more a grimace, head bowed down because they don't want to look you in the eye. The whole lunch felt awkward. But, I thought it would be fun and keep my mind off the fact I had breast cancer.
The following day my neighbors ask to speak with me at Emilie's house. I was curious and a little concerned about why they wanted to have this chat.
"Leslie, we are so sorry." Becky said.
"For what"? I asked.
"I gave your sister the number for Social Rehabilitation Services and she called them," Becky said.
"Leslie, we were concerned about you, we thought she was trying to help you."
They went onto tell me about the conversations they had with my sister while I had been in Kansas City. Beth even eluded that I drank and tried to find alcohol in my house.
I was in utter shock. Then Becky showed me the texts she had received from Beth.
"It's done," Beth texted.
She obviously was referring that she had in fact turned me into SRS. Which really didn't make any sense since the house was clean. I was so angry with her, but I had other things I was dealing with too. Seriously? This was her idea of help.
Could I have used help earlier that year? Yes. Was I majorly depressed six months prior, yes. But I had started going to church, getting out more, and enjoying life. My kids never went without. I couldn't buy them the most expensive things in life, but that's not what being a parent is about. They had their basic needs met. Yes, my son needed a new mattress, but the week prior to my going to Kansas City I went shopping with my other sister for just that. I was just still price comparing.
So, that was that. Now, with a stage IV cancer diagnosis my sister was after my children as well. She made it known she wanted them to come and live with her. She insisted that's where they needed to be. It didn't matter what I want, or what I thought was best for my children.
"We should have believed you Leslie and we're so sorry for not believing you," Becky said.
I finally felt validated.

No comments:

Post a Comment