Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blog submission to Young Survivor Coalition


Sometimes I wish I could greet my readers and say “Hi, I’m Leslie and living with stage IV breast cancer.” Gee, sounds like I'm speaking at an AA meeting. I almost wish I was. Anything would be better than writing about a cancer diagnosis. I'd at least feel numb if I was drinking. Can you imagine going into a scan with a shot of Tequila awaiting you at the door? Instead, I get a shot of chemo. I was going to submit this entry to Young Survivor Coalition, but I kept asking myself how my words and my journey might help someone else going through the same thing.
I'm not really different than anyone else diagnosed with breast cancer. I felt humbled by all the other people waiting with me in the waiting area to have their blood drawn. There were so many of us. All of us were there for the same thing. Yet none of us could look one another in the eye. We had our heads buried in a crossword, or a book, or playing with our phone. We were waiting for a name to be called to be poked and prodded once again.
A frightened woman older than myself noticed my silk scarf and asked me how I felt about losing my hair. She had yellowish, shoulder-length, thick colored hair. You could tell she took pride in her appearance and she was terrified of losing her hair. As if that was the least of our worries. For her though, her hair was her identity. I wasn't prepared to answer her and my aunt came over and sat next to her and visited with her for the next half hour. My own nerves had been shot and I didn't know how to help someone calm their nerves.
There is no way to prepare you to receive chemo. Everyone is so different in how they will handle it emotionally. I was slightly blessed though. I had a semi-private cubicle with cable ready tv and a reclining chair. When I say semi-private, I mean be prepared to overhear conversations. You can't really be too irritated with people holding these conversations, but some of them are just so damn loud you wish you had something to sedate them. This was already a nerve-racking experience. Did this make me a hateful person?
Another annoyance of mine was how many times I had to recite my birth date. When they draw blood, the nurse asks, "Can you tell me your date of birth"? When the nurse checks and double checks the chemo, "Can you tell me your date of birth"? When you are ready to have a ct scan, a pet scan, a bone scan, "Can you tell me your date of birth?" I wonder what would have happened if I gave her the wrong date? Would I be hauled off into a secluded area in the event I might be a terrorist?
Even after all that checking and double checking sometimes they do get it wrong. I remember being told I should be done by a certain time and when it came five o'clock the bag was only half empty. Why wasn't I done yet? Little did I know a mistake had been made. I had terror in my eyes and utter shock. What did this mean? Was this mistake going to affect the response to my chemo?
I wish there was an easy way to prepare you for a breast cancer diagnosis, but there isn't. They say 80 percent of recovery is positive thinking? I don't want to be positive damn it. I didn’t want people around me telling me it was going to be okay and that I needed to fight, because they really had no idea if it was or wasn’t. I didn’t need to hear their sad stories about when something terrible happened to them and they focused on their faith to get them through it. I was allowed to feel self-pity. I was allowed to be mad at the world and mad at God. I was allowed to be hateful. I was allowed to feel all the feelings I was feeling at least for a little while. There is no logic with cancer. There is no rhyme or reason. My dad has an honest approach to chemotherapy and says it’s a crap shoot, and he’s right. It is a crap shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment