Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I truly believed she had the best interest of my children at heart. So much so that I started to doubt my own parenting abilities. How could this person love my children more than I did? She started changing little things about their every day life. My son loved to hang out with his friends. I normally dropped him off in the mornings unless he wanted to ride his scooter or bike to school, and then after school I would let him walk home with a couple of friends and hang out until it was time for football practice. I knew these kids. They were his teammates. She assured me that he would get to hang out with his friends once she met their parents. I figured that was fair, after all she was taking extra, special care of my children.
Mickaela was doing awesome from what she told me! She was smiling and coming into her own a little bit. She was having a great time with Riley and Riley referred to Mickaela as her sister. I was happy! My kids were doing great, or so I thought.
"We really think the kids could benefit from grief counseling," Becky said.
I understood why she felt that way. After all, they lost their aunt that summer and their grandmother a year before that. Not to mention their other grandmother had Stage IV lung cancer and now their mother had Stage IV metastatic breast cancer. That's a lot for anyone to have to go through let alone a nine and 12-year old.
I knew my children though, and I knew that Nick would fight them every step of the way. Mickaela just wanted someone to listen to her and make her feel important so she was an easy sell.
"Who are they seeing"? I asked.
"Well, since they have medicaid I couldn't get them into anyone in Salina. So we're going to Ellsworth to take them to see Doug Hood. He is very good with children, in fact that's all he does," she explained to me.
"Sounds good to me," I said. "Let me know how it goes."
Ellsworth is 90 miles from Salina. I thought to myself how invested she was in the kids. Not very many people would drive 90 miles one way for a counseling appointment. She really does want what's best for my kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment